Monday, November 3, 2008

the perfect pair-- mom's chili & summer's corn casserole...

with the weather getting colder it is so fun to start making more soups & stews again!  i love my mom's chili recipe & it goes so well with the recipe from one of our first Recipe Club get togethers.  Summer brought it & it has been a favorite of mine ever since.  it has great texture & is a great pair with any soup!


{mom's homemade chili}

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1- 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups tomato juice
1- 10 oz. can kidney beans, undrained

In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion & celery.  Drain off excess fat.  Stir in remaining ingredients except beans.  Simmer covered for 30-45 minutes until flavors are blended.  Stir in beans & heat through.


{summer's corn casserole}

1 stick butter, melted
1 can cream style corn
1 can sweet whole kernel corn, drained
2 boxes jiffy corn bread muffin mix
1- 16 oz. container sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter in a 2 quart casserole dish.  Add remaining ingredients & mix well.  Bake 45-60 minutes or until knife stuck in center comes out clean.


2 comments:

Shannon & Summer said...

wow! I feel so special to have my recipe featured on your blog! If only it was an original recipe!
I must say this stuff is way good though! Your pictures make everything look even better too!
I have a favor...I was trying to print your sugar cookie recipe and it was way to small to see anything. Would you mind emailing it to me? That would be awesome!
Thanks - summerlovessean@yahoo.com
no rush - by the way.
You amaze me!
Oh, one more thing...I have a friendship bread starter if you are interested...let me know!
I would also just like to say that your breakfast casserole is a favorite of mine. We make it for special occasions and it is always a hit!

Jack Attack said...

I have been looking for a good chili recipe and am exact to try this. I'm sure it will be good, just like everything else you make. thanks brit.