Monday, March 31, 2008

Quick Tip of the Week...

I have decided to do a little tip of the week segment--not really a recipe kind of thing I know, but some of these kitchen tips I'll share with you have truly been cooking lifesavers!!!
Today's tip is a recipe for a Pan Coating. I first discovered it when I was making Becks 1st birthday cake. It was a 3D snowman cake. I had no room for error on this & I was waking up at night from dreams...nightmares...of the cake sticking in the pan. Since I found this recipe, no more nightmare--well at least not about my cakes sticking. I works so great for bundts or any pan with a lot of detail.

Pan Coating

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup flour

Put all ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Use pastry brush to coat pan.
*I make a triple it and just keep it in a marked Tupperware in my fridge. It doesn't get solid because of the oil

No comments: