Thursday, November 19, 2009

bahama mama chicken tortilla soup...

**sorry i didn't get this posted yesterday!!!! believe me i tried & tried & tried! my computer was on the fritz & kept freezing on me... arrgggghhhh! anyhoo, here it is.

this is another take-out, made-in. i love finding & making up copy cat recipes for some of my restaurant favorites. in this case, Rumbi's Island Grill. i love there chicken tortilla soup! creamy, with a hint of coconut milk & a squeeze of lime... simply delicious. a great twist on a cold weather classic. give it a try the next time you need some warm comfort!

_MG_3985edt
{bahama mama chicken tortilla soup}

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 cups chicken stock
1 cup matchstick carrots
1/3 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 TBSP fresh ginger, minced
1 TBSP minced fresh garlic
1 cup chopped roma tomato, juices drained off
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
tortilla strips**
limes, cut in wedges
salt & pepper to taste

lightly salt & pepper chicken breasts on each side. grill or broil until browned & cooked through. cut into bite size chunks.
in a large pot, combine chicken stock, carrots. all herbs, spices & seasonings. bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender. add coconut milk, chopped, drained tomatoes, chicken & cilanto. heat through but DON'T BOIL. add salt & pepper as needed.
ladle into bowls & top with tortilla strips & a lime wedge.
Enjoy!!!!!

**for the tortilla strips, you can either slice up corn tortillas & bake or fry them... or just pick some up at your local tex-mex restaurant. bajio, cafe rio & costa vida are all really nice about selling strips & they aren't too expensive.

2 comments:

JabaSmo said...

I moved out of state and we have no Rumbi's here...I was so excited when I made this because it tasted almost identical. Soo delicious and ridiculously easy to make!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Casey said...

I am usually a silent blogger. I need to be better at commenting on the yummy recipes I have found here. Anyway, I tried this soup and it was amazing. I have never had Rumbi's version so I have a few questions about making it and how it is supposed to turn out.

1. Do you put the mozzarella cheese in the soup and let it melt, or does it go on after?

2. Mine ended up white in color instead of yellow like your picture, and it was a little thin. Is this the nature of the soup or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for posting your wonderful recipes! I truly enjoy them all!