Monday, August 10, 2009

grandma hope's taco filling...

first, let me apologize for my absence!  between summer vacations & a load of injuries at our house:(  the blogs have taken a little bit of a back seat.  but i am back with a great family heirloom recipe.

my grandma hope was famous for her veggie packed taco filling!  since you make it in large batches & freeze it in containers, it is perfect for those busy nights, when you need something yummy & nutritious on the table quickly.  give it a try & i promise you won't we disappointed!

216995358_de2a14d931
{grandma hope's taco filling}

6 lbs. lean ground beef, browned & drained

 2 green peppers, chopped

1 yellow onion, chopped

 6 potatoes, peeled & grated

6 carrots, peeled & grated

1 pint ketchup

 1- 46 oz. can tomato juice

  3 packages taco seasoning

 

In a very large pot or electric skillet, brown ground beef & drain off fat.  Add peppers, onions, potatoes & carrots.  Stir until combined.  Add in ketchup, tomato juice & taco seasoning.   

Simmer for about 3 hours, or until veggies are tender.  Makes enough for a very large crown, or as I prefer- place in tupperware containers & freeze until needed.  Perfect for tacos, nachos, taco salads, etc.!


1 comment:

Heather said...

I made this exactly as directed, and it's delicious! Make sure that you have a big enough pot to make this in, as the recipe made enough to fill my 8 quart stock pot almost to the brim, just be forewarned. I was able to fill 9 containers, all of which I tossed into my freezer for future dinners. I made sure to grab a taste before I froze it, and it was so good! Thank you for a tasty and time saving recipe!